Asheville Course highlights
Course & Terrain Highlights:
- Sierra Nevada, Mills River, Asheville – The Start & Finish & Expo are hosted at the iconic Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
- The course has scenic views of rolling mountains, rough and rocky outcroppings, lake views, dense forests and passes many rivers and waterfalls
- Course will cross theEastern Continental Divide multiple times!
- A true multi-surface race with smooth, hard packed, flat, loose, rocky and up/downhill gravel.
- The course dips into South Carolina so you're visiting two states!
- Ride travels down part of theSaluda Grade: the steepest standard-gauge mainline railway grade in the United States.
- Huge variety and range of flora and fauna all influenced by the water in the area.
- Microbreweries – The Asheville region hosts one of the highest concentrations in the nation!
- RenownedBlue Ridge Parkway – 469miles long without a stop sign or light, is at the backdoor of Sierra Nevada! Called America's Favorite Drive -a ribbon of road that weaves through the region’s vibrant living traditions including Cherokee life and agricultural history to Southern Appalachian crafts and music. A must see and ride experience!
- Pisgah National Forest - originally part of the 87,000 acre Biltmore Estate, now over 500,000 acres, includes 5 peaks over 6000 feet in elevation.
- Mt Mitchell- accessed off the Parkway, Mt Mitchell is the highest point on the east coast and you can ride your bike to the top!!
- Biltmore Estate- largest privately-owned home/mansion in the USA and has rich ties to the region.
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park is very close- one of few free National Parks in the USA among just being awesome
- One of the highest concentrations of summer camps across the USA, the ride will pass several along the route.
- DuPont State Forest- used to be home to DuPont chemicals. Now a huge state forest with hundreds of miles of multi-use trails. Also Last of the Mohicans and the first Hunger Games movies were filmed there.
- French Broad River- 218 miles in length, passes by the grounds of Sierra Nevada where the BWR race course passes over it on its way through the city of Asheville on route to Tennessee. The French Broad River State Trail follows the river for 117 miles.
- There may be an opportunity to spy the rare white squirrel; NOT albino!
Industry Leaders in the region:
- Cane Creek
- Sylvan Sport
- Riveter Bike Park – located at the entrance of Sierra Nevada!