This inaugural BWR Cedar City event will have a deep field of professional road and gravel riders and an expansive list of hungry amateur riders drawn to the unique opportunity to race alongside their heroes, like World Tour rider, Peter Stetina, who won the 2019 San Diego edition. Racers and event patrons will be treated to food, pre- and post-event, adhering to what Health Officials will allow on race day. After the race, there will be finely brewed ale from Policy Kings Brewery, more waffles and more beer on tap. The Waffle race itself promises unparalleled punishment for entrants along a 125-mile course, which features roughly 6,000 feet of undulating climbs, at an average altitude of 5,800 feet, with over 60-miles of off-road terrain that harken to the teeth-rattling cobblestones of Europe’s most grueling races. The course has a variety of different surfaces; gravel, single track, rocky trails, sandy sections and even some asphalt and bike paths.
• Nearly 20 National Parks, Monuments, and Recreation Areas within a half day drive from Cedar City.
• Bryce Canyon NP and Zion NP both within an hour and a half drive, with the Kolob Canyon section of Zion only 20 minutes away
• Cedar Breaks National Monument is a 30 minute drive away.
• Nearby area has terrain perfect for all types of recreational activity
• Hundreds of miles of nearby gravel, mountain, and paved biking opportunities
• Intimate small town feel with big time recreation
Dear Rouleurs, Graveleurs and Puncheurs,
We hope this communication finds you healthy and safe. The Covid-19 cases have gone down steadily in Cedar City and the Southwest Region of Utah. We have been busy working with our partners, local health officials and city managers, organizing best practices, possibilities and adjusting expectations for our upcoming event in the Canyon Belgian Waffle Ride Cedar City, which is still being planned for October 17, 2020.
Our priority is and always will be the safety and well-being of our riders and the community, so we are remaining open to any changes that may happen while monitoring directions from local officials and the CDC.
As of today, the Cedar City officials are excited to host riders to our special event in their town on October 17.We are all optimistic for a few reasons, including the numbers for this event being much smaller and more manageable. We are working on our own plans to create a safe and memorable event for all, which include a variety of safety measures…
• Face coverings will be mandated at registration and at the start/finish line.
• We will ensure that face coverings are available.
• A 6-foot distance must be maintained between riders pre- and post- event.
• We will limit the number of people in a confined area to enable adequate distancing at all times.
• Maintain signage to remind and help individuals stand at least 6 feet apart when in common areas.
• Our food distribution is going to spread out so we do not promote congregating and the items will be individually packaged.
• We will disinfect between transactions at facility stores/gift shops and comply with other retail recommendations.
• Riders will have their temperatures checked.
• We have a dedicated staff for sanitizing high-touch areas, like the aid stations.
We have been conferring with local officials and have engaged a Health Official to create a manual of best practices for all of our events, as we see this need being a reality well into the future.
In lieu of all the event cancellations and our own postponements, this BWR in Cedar City could be one of the only events of its kind for the rest of the year! The courses we have laid out for the event are spectacular, with varied terrain that matches the dynamics at play in BWRSD… We are still working on the final permits for the routes.
A full refund will be issued through October 1, 2020 for the following:
• A participant who tests positive for COVID-19
• A participant who has a family member with COVID-19 or lives with an individual with COVID-19
• A participant who is a medical professional working on COVID-19
• Registration Add-On: Full refund will be provided for those who registered for the BWR VIP experience
Lastly, we thank everyone who shared his or her views on reimagining what a BWR could look like this fall. Your ideas and insights have been very helpful.
The BWR Crew
August 20, 2020